You Can Be Both, Fashionable and Functional: Nursing School Supplies


Nursing school is expensive. There is always a fee due, a book to be bought, and extra supplies needed. So how can you prevent it from getting out of hand? Hear me out. Quality over quantity. This phrase is over used but for a good reason. Investing in the items you will use all year and possibly after school will save you so much time and effort. You will be SO preoccupied with other school related stressors that you won't want to think twice about purchasing extra scrubs or shoes. I know it may seem like you are getting a good deal when you find a set of scrubs for twenty dollars but think about the wear time those scrubs will give you. In the end you may purchase more than two sets of those scrubs because the quality just isn't there. So here is my two cents on the best supplies to help you survive nursing school. 

You don't have to have the nicest stethoscope, but I do recommend at least getting the Littman 3M Lightweight II. This stethoscope provides clear easily heard heart, lung and bowel sounds. As the name suggest, it is also very lightweight. The earpieces fit comfortably in the ears as well. I also recommend this stethoscope because it comes in several fashionable colors. I know at some hospitals a color code is made specifically for each unit. With this stethoscope, you have seven options to pick from to match with your unit. 
The next item I suggest you invest in is your scrubs. Currently, I have two different brands. The first set of scrubs I purchased were from a brand known as Adar. The specific ones I purchased are the Adar Pop-stretch Junior Fit Women's.These are my most worn scrubs of the year. I've had clinical's for the past nine or so months scheduled three days a week. So needless to say, I have put some miles into these scrubs. The most noticeable damage is in the thighs. There is some pilling but other than that I'd say they have held up pretty well. These scrubs are also stylish. If you are girly like me, you might like these for their interesting details. My favorite scrubs though, are the Cherokee Infinity brand. These breathable and soft scrubs are just amazing. I have several pairs of pants from this line for work and I can't get enough. My favorite features about these scrubs are the pockets, the draw strings at the ankles, the length, and of course the material. I could seriously rave about these. There are other brands out there that I know are just as great but these just happen to be the two I have tried for school. 
SHOES... y'all, these are important. Most programs still make you wear the typical all white leather shoes. How can you find something comfortable but still stylish? Because lets face it, that is an important factor in today's day. I remember it took me weeks to find the shoes I'd wear for school because I'm so picky. I finally found myself in a pair of Adidas Superstars with the rose gold classic stripes. The rose gold is understated enough that my instructors have yet to make a comment regarding the color. These shoes are pretty comfortable. If I had to give them a Yelp review on comfort it would be a 7/10. These shoes also help fulfill my desire to look cute, which as mentioned is def important to me. Other brands I have seen my classmates wear include Dansko Clogs and K-Swiss. 
So if you are like me then you might find accessories important as well to go along with your scrubs, shoes and stethoscope. The first one I'd like to note is the WhiteCoat Clipboard. I know what you are thinking, a clipboard? Yes, it sounds a little off but trust me when I say you will love this item. This clipboard has general values listed on it too. For example, temperature conversions from Fahrenheit to Celsius or labs. Small things like this are so helpful as a new "baby" nurse. This clipboard is also great for preventing HIPAA violations because it folds in half to protect patient information. Next, I'd suggest a great bag to carry to clinicals. I carry two different bags. The first one I carry consistently is the Rachel Tote from Fossil. This purse is roomy, stylish, and functional. It has an outer pocket for your phone and it has plenty of space in the bag for your stethoscope, clipboard, wallet, keys, a snack, the whole shabang. This item is a splurge. I am fully aware. So for another option, I recommend the Herschel Supply Settlement Mid-volume Backpack. I love this backpack. I've wanted it forever and was so excited to have the perfect excuse to purchase it. This bag is durable and fashionable. 

I know it may be overwhelming to think about everything you need for school. But remember investing in your future is important. You may find yourself not needing all of the things I shared above but I hope I was able to recommend maybe some good shoe options or scrubs! If you have any recommendations please feel free to comment below. I am always looking for new items to try. 

Links to items listed will be shared below.
Adidas Superstars
Rachel Tote
WhiteCoat Clipboard
Littman Stethoscope
Adar Scrubs 
Cherokee Scrubs




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurse Life: How to Prepare for a 12+ Hour Shift

First Year as a Nurse