Styling Tips for a Smaller Home

After living in our home for almost two years I think it is safe to say I am content with how our living room situation appears (when clean that is.) Sure our home is on the smaller size, but my husband and I are fortunate enough to own this house. With the knowledge of just how small our house is, a lot of things need to multi-functional AND stylish. I hope this post could even help the mama's out there with young babies. But what I want to share with you today is how I style my living room. If you enjoy this post, make sure you let me know and maybe I can share some of my other rooms in the future!


Right as you enter our living room, You will see a love seat and smaller couch with a bright ottoman being used a side table. I added on top of the ottoman a tan flat wicker basket with black handle details. Both of those items were purchased at Target. On that basket, I included these marble coasters gifted to us with the initial of our last name, a baby pink vase with a faux cactus, and our remotes. This idea is great for our small living room because the ottoman/side table can double as a seat when we have our friends over. I'd eventually like to reupholster the ottoman to a more neutral color that can flow with our living room.


We are doggy parents and as most doggy parents (and parents of children) know, that small beings are just the messiest things to walk the earth. I clean up after our girl every evening. I have found that adding a cute basket next to our bar cart helps me contain her messes. I pick up the fluff every evening and then throw the remains of her toys back into her basket. 


Shelving can be super tricky in a smaller home. Shelves add so much decor but can also take so much space away. So my sweet husband built me these cute floating shelves that I saw on Pinterest. The stain matches our couches and other furniture pretty well. I'll try and find the link to these floating shelves and include the directions below. My favorite perk about these shelves is that they are tall enough to stay out of the way of little hands. Most children can't reach these shelves so it doesn't even phase them when they are visiting our house. I also make an effort to change the shelf decor out with each new season. The other nice things about these shelves is they are pretty cool. When I have new people over, they always mention just how much they like these shelves.  


This next tip is pretty well known but I just want to re-emphasize just how important I find it to be. Adding a mirror to smaller spaces can make most rooms feel larger. Our mirror is a full length mirror that has a similar wood shade as the other items in our living room. This purchase is also very important to both my husband and I. It helps us to make sure we don't look too crazy before leaving our house. If you have little to no windows in your living room, add a mirror and see what you think. 


These next ideas are just food for thought. Try and find a television stand that sits directly on the ground. You will not have to worry about dust bunnies or creepy crawlies. Dog and baby toys also can't get stuck underneath as well. Next, make an effort to pick your clutter up every evening. With a small home, clutter can really make your house feel not only smaller but messier since it is more noticeable.  Lastly, have a set design and try to stick with that idea. I am really into the whole 70s vibe and that is why I include bright colors and palm/cactus art. This does take some trial and error but you will eventually find the style you are looking for.  


So when it comes to styling your smaller house, don't fret. Your cute little home has so much potential. Most of the items I used for decor were on clearance or hand-me-downs. Apart from the things listed above, I would say find a cute patterned rug and print out pictures. Check out Goodwill too because you may be able to find some really unique furniture pieces that just need freshened up. I hope you enjoyed my little tips and tricks. Feel free to share your ideas below!

Things Mentioned Above

(Side note, I am slightly obsessed with Target so everything linked is pretty much Target. Other items were found at Hobby Lobby or hand-me-downs)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurse Life: How to Prepare for a 12+ Hour Shift

You Can Be Both, Fashionable and Functional: Nursing School Supplies

First Year as a Nurse