Valuable Lessons Learned as a Nursing Assistant



If you have been following my story at all then you would know that this past June, I graduated my licensed practical nurse program. This has been a goal of mine to graduate a nursing program for the past three years. I started my journey to become a nurse back in November of 2015. The past three and a half years, I worked as a nursing assistant/AUA at a hospital focused on cardiac care. I was fortunate enough to work in a critical care unit as well as an intermediate unit where we took care of patients just out of neuro surgeries. For today’s topic, I want to share my experience as an AUA and how it prepared me for becoming a nurse. I do believe this job holds so much value and I really want to highlight just how important the role of the nursing assistant is before becoming a nurse.  

My first real job was working in retail as an assistant manager. When comparing my previous job to my nursing assistant job, you wouldn't automatically think they go hand in hand. But there is one thing that comes to mind when trying to relate the two. Customer service. Think about it... the customer is valued, and we want to take care of them so they trust us and come back. Same premise as health care. You want to take good care of your patients so that they begin to form a trusting bond with you. Now when I started as a NA back in 2015, I knew NOTHING about healthcare. I mentioned in my previous blog post that there was no one in my family who looked at me as a youngin and said, “That girl Hannah will grow up and be a nurse.” It was quite the opposite really. I used to gag at the site of blood. So how did lil ol’ me get to this point without jumping ship? I can’t honestly tell you. (LOL) But I wanted to tough it out and really give myself the opportunity to explore what it meant to work in healthcare. I began searching for my strengths in customer service and how I could implement them into my nursing assistant job. I reminded myself of how I treated my most valued customers at my previous job. They were my best friends, grandmas or aunties (figuratively). And that's when it clicked. I was able to break the communication barrier between my customers and myself by being upfront, open and honest. I listened to their stories if they felt like sharing. I also gave honest opinions on their clothing options that lead them to buy the best outfit for their specific need. I was able to establish trust through my communication. So going back to baby nursing assistant Hannah... the one ability I knew I could excel in was listening and helping. If a patient had a request, I did just that... if within reason that is. If I didn't know how to do something, I was able to ask for help from one of the many great nurses I worked with. I began using
therapeutic communication to help my patients. This skill isn't gained overnight. As a nurse, you are challenged with gaining the trust of your patient. Often, the nurse has difficult conversations with their patients. Being able to involve myself in these conversations just by listening and doing makes me feel comfortable about my transition to a nurse. The early exposure to these types of conversations really set me up to succeed. 

Time management is huge as a nurse. When I started my journey into nursing, a routine was everything for me. I did vitals every shift on the dot of 0700, 1100, and 1500. I scheduled times to stock, when to walk patients, when to pick up trays... ect. I currently run free willy style up and down my halls because I am able to now do tasks with the understanding of just getting them completed. Had I not taught myself to follow a routine though, I probably would have drowned. Thankfully, I learned how to manage my time. Nursing assistants have oodles of patients to help as well. At most, I had eight patients. Friends of mine have had 12-16 patients. When talking with them and discussing the importance of being a nursing assistant, they all agree that time management was instilled in them when working as a NA. 

Somethings you can't prepare for.  These past three years I have been exposed to many things nursing. If you have seen any television show and thought to yourself, it looks so fun or glamorous... you need to go shadow a nurse. The harsh reality is that this job is far from easy. It is mentally and physically straining. In the past, I have been asked by friends what my job entails. I can only explain about 50% of my job because the other 50% is just life things. You have to experience it to know what it is I am talking about. Every patient is different. The care you provide is individualized based on what you are doing that day for ONE of your patients. All this being said, I am thankful that I started my journey as a nursing assistant because I am not oblivious to what I am getting myself into. One little story to just add some humor. I was floated down to the ER one shift and I only knew maybe 3 nurses. One of the nurses that was my friend asked me if I wanted to watch an IJ being placed. I was naive and thought 'why the heck not.' This nurse begins palpating this patient’s neck. He then proceeds to insert the IJ into the neck. Well silly me did not know that IJ stood for intravenous jugular catheter (cue face palm.) I then bent over and was flooded by a hot flash. I want to be clear. I have never passed out at work but have come very close multiple times. I also want to add... I now know what an IJ is (LOL.)

The important to thing to remember from above is that you learn so much of nursing just by doing. Nursing school is a "perfect" bubble that has the scenario pretty laid out or easy to determine. Clinicals are great as well. But in my experience, I learned and saw so much more as a tech.


So if you are new to the whole world of nursing, I highly suggest you get a job as a CNA, PCP, or as an AUA. You can really start to determine if you are cut out for nursing just by working in this role.  Being a nursing assistant allows you to observe nurses daily and seeing just what type work they are tasked with.  Many times, people realize nursing isn't their calling when working as a tech. Being a nursing assistant yourself will also help you to have a greater appreciation for the techs you will lead in the future. You will know what it feels like to be running after all the call lights or providing hygiene care for 8 to 12 patients. This knowledge will also lead you to step up and help when things get crazy for the aide. I hope to really drive home the point that nursing assistants are a valued piece of the health care team. Without them, nurses would have so much more on their plates. 






If there is anything else you would like to add about your experience as a nursing assistant please share below!  Be sure to follow me on Instagram @hannahfranwright and also on Pinterest. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurse Life: How to Prepare for a 12+ Hour Shift

You Can Be Both, Fashionable and Functional: Nursing School Supplies

First Year as a Nurse